After having read Chapters 1-4 write a reaction to what you think Jonas's world is like? For example, what do you think about his family, his community, and his day-to-day reality? 10 points
We're definitely not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Even though Jonas's world reminds me of my own in that he is busy with school, friends, family, and chores, there is an uncomfortable and widespread quiet control that governs every aspect of his life. It's just weird. And scary.
For example, I like having a birthday--my very own day that reminds me that I'm special and different. It's a day that belongs to me. I think it's so sad that Jonas doesn't have this, that none of the kids do. Yes, treating everyone the same can protect them--no one's feelings can be hurt if everyone is treated the same. But there is something robotic, generic, and anonymous about Jonas's community. It seems sterile, void of emotion, and way too structured.
I'm feeling a bit creeped out. And I'm very interested in what is to come as I read on.
We're definitely not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Even though Jonas's world reminds me of my own in that he is busy with school, friends, family, and chores, there is an uncomfortable and widespread quiet control that governs every aspect of his life. It's just weird. And scary.
ReplyDeleteFor example, I like having a birthday--my very own day that reminds me that I'm special and different. It's a day that belongs to me. I think it's so sad that Jonas doesn't have this, that none of the kids do. Yes, treating everyone the same can protect them--no one's feelings can be hurt if everyone is treated the same. But there is something robotic, generic, and anonymous about Jonas's community. It seems sterile, void of emotion, and way too structured.
I'm feeling a bit creeped out. And I'm very interested in what is to come as I read on.